The fact is that you do need nutritious snacks if you want to shed pounds. For years, conventional wisdom has told us that it’s best to eat those 3 square meals a day. The problem is that during the long stretches between meals, blood sugar drops, creating cravings that take you on a direct path to the nearest chip bag. By adding a healthy mid-morning and mid-afternoon snack to your meal plan, you can avoid the blood sugar dips that transform you into a raving carb or sugar monster.
That’s where clean eating snacks come in. Clean eating is a choice that puts the focus on enjoying foods that are minimally processed and have little or no added sodium or sugar. What’s more, clean eating foods don’t have the chemical additives found in many store brands. You get all the benefits of whole natural food, without the preservatives and artificial colorings the body wasn’t designed to process.
Learn more about clean eating!
When you want to lose weight, clean eating snacks are a smart choice. To get the maximum benefit, the first step is to do a clean sweep of the kitchen and pantry to eliminate unhealthy choices. Then make these low-calorie snacks a regular part of your shopping list. You’ll find it’s easier to stick to healthy choices when nutritious foods are within reach. Remember to tuck snacks, like dried fruit and nut mix, into your purse or bag so you can quell hunger whenever it hits, whether it’s during the mid-afternoon office lull or after yoga class.
12 Clean-Eating Snacks
1. Apples. You cannot go wrong with apples. They help lower cholesterol by regulating blood sugar and by helping to control the appetite. Eat them fresh or enjoy them in easy-to-make Baked Apple Chips.
2. Peanut Butter and Honey Oat Bars. Instead of reaching for a packaged granola bar, which often floods the body with too much sugar, try these clean eating snacks. Bake a batch, and then keep them handy in the fridge for a healthy grab-n-go snack.
3. Strawberries. This fruit is a natural choice for a weight loss snack. One cup has 100% of your daily vitamin C and it delivers plenty of body-loving antioxidants. Skinny Mini Strawberry Cheesecake takes only a few minutes to prepare and a perfect weight loss treat.
4. Radishes. When you have a taste for variety in your snack food menu, ravishing radishes are the veggie for you. Each little radish has only 1 calorie. Yep. One calorie. Enjoy them with Zucchini Hummus.
5. Bananas. The original superfood, the banana is low in calories and high in healthy carbohydrates that provide endurance and energy. This fruit also contains potassium, which helps regulate blood pressure. Another ideal dessert treat when counting calories is Skinny Mini Banana Pudding.
6. Hard-Boiled Egg. We now understand that eggs are not the health food bad guys we once thought. A single hard-boiled egg is an ideal snack that delivers the protein your muscles need to grow, and, in turn, burn more calories. Deviled Egg, anyone? At 98 calories for one egg, you can’t go wrong.